Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

HEAT Forum

November 01, 2017, 04:52:59 AM
News: 2017-10-10 Heatledger 2.0 with Heatwallet 2.2.0 released! NOTE: Balance leasing and hard fork at block 777777 https://github.com/Heat-Ledger-Ltd/heatwallet/releases
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HEAT Technical Progress  (Read 3475 times)

Share this topic
verymuchso
Follow verymuchso wrote HEAT Technical Progress on November 07, 2016, 12:03:49 AM
Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 12:10:56 AM by verymuchso
We have concluded all important parts that relate to the core. This includes the removal of the embedded database and replacing it with our own custom transactional and crash proof storage mechanism based on memory mapped files.

This storage layer in itself and especially the crash-recovery, transactional rollbacks and ability to rollback all storage to a version N blocks in the past was no small feat. It was further optimized to use as little memory allocations as needed, we achieved this by re-using many of the application objects (accounts, transactions, blocks etc but also many of the raw byte arrays) and instead of recreating new objects while the app is running we try and re-use existing objects by repopulating their fields and data.

To fully ensure its correct workings we've opted for a testing scheme where we have the heat core test itself. Its much like doing a self diagnostics but we'd like to view as it 'extreme self diagnostics'.

The architecture of a blockchain application is perfectly suited for such a mechanism, add to that the lightweight operations of the heat system as a whole and combined we'll have the perfect through and through self-testing.

The self diagnostics works by generating an endless stream of transactions, blocks, but also causing exceptions in places where exceptions can occur and forcing the blockchain to be rolled back at pseudo random intervals. In short we replicate months of normal operations in a matter of minutes.

To ensure all is working correctly we have various verify'ers listening in on the events that come from the heat application and use those events to built a secondary derived blockchain model which holds all account balances, unconfirmed balances, blocks, transactions etc etc either in memory if the data permits this (simple accounts balances for instance) or we'll store smaller checksums that proof larger constructs like blocks and transactions actually match on disk what we have calculated in the secondary model.

We plan to use this same test in our continuous integrations systems which are in the process of being setup (we'll be using Jenkins and host the code on github, upon each commit Jenkins will run the full test suite).

Heat will not only be the fastest and most scalable crypto currency. It will also be a POS cryptocurrency that allows anyone to create a sidechain or private blockchain without writing any code at all, free of charge. At heat we believe that instead of making it a pain for anyone interested and willing to invest in our technology, we actually welcome and enable these users to get their private chain up and running as quick as possible.
Eventually, You not only dont need to write any code, you also can use the standard heat server and client software to operate your private chain. Users can opt to run just heat, just any other private chain or a combination thereof.

To achieve this instead of encoding the genesis block as an encrypted set of transaction and block signatures as is standard with previous POS crypto currencies, later this year we aim to include the code to actually create the genesis block into the heat core. This allows anyone to create a json file with a list of recipient public keys and genesis amounts. Et voila start heat and you'll have your fully functional private chain.

As soon as the decentralized services will be coming online those will work on heat and all private heat chains derived from that.

We are planning to release the heat genesis block in the coming days, and HEAT core software on github shortly after that, as well as setup the continuous integration and prepare all further dev-ops aspects to at least guarantee enough uptime. To ensure fast updates to the network we will be using the same auto-updating feature that we introduced in FIMK which allowed us to remotely disable and even shutdown servers that run versions that are not compatible with the master branch. This mechanism will be active during the start of heat but always will be an optional feature, if users wish so they can disable this feature in the light of decentralization.

For the health of the early network and to allow us to push new features at this early stage we of course discourage users to do this.

proto
Follow proto wrote Re: HEAT Technical Progress on November 07, 2016, 01:28:02 AM

warmach
Follow warmach wrote Re: HEAT Technical Progress on November 07, 2016, 03:55:35 AM
It was further optimized to use as little memory allocations as needed, we achieved this by re-using many of the application objects (accounts, transactions, blocks etc but also many of the raw byte arrays) and instead of recreating new objects while the app is running we try and re-use existing objects by repopulating their fields and data.

Wouldn't this open up the possibility of having old data still reside in the objects?  A bug or exception may interrupt the object data writing leaving partially written with new and old data.  If you destroy the object and create a new one you won't have this problem.  While I understand you don't want to use large amounts of memory, but I think the OS should be able to free up the destroyed objects and memory allocation if/when the OS needs it.

We are planning to release the heat genesis block in the coming days

Are any of the outstanding NXT redemption transfers going to be completed so NXT users can claim their HEAT?  I'm still waiting... I have a zero balance so I can't just use my own NXT to claim the ICO funds.
http://heatledger.net/index.php?topic=20.msg245#msg245

verymuchso
Follow verymuchso wrote Re: HEAT Technical Progress on November 07, 2016, 02:07:12 PM
Wouldn't this open up the possibility of having old data still reside in the objects?

Yes it does. Extra care is required because of this.

But the pay-off also is very big, during normal operations there is lots and lots of iteration over transactions and blocks going on all the time. Since those are stored in chronicle-map persisted maps and those in turn offer off-heap (no java mem) data access, re-populating (and not holding on to) blocks and transactions during iterations pay of in a big way.

Are any of the outstanding NXT redemption transfers going to be completed so NXT users can claim their HEAT?  I'm still waiting... I have a zero balance so I can't just use my own NXT to claim the ICO funds.
http://heatledger.net/index.php?topic=20.msg245#msg245

Best to contact Svante for such questions.
There also is a built-in live support widget in the ico claim part of the client.

Beautiful!

“Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.”

Heat Addy:
loylyaLissee
Follow loylyaLissee wrote Re: HEAT Technical Progress on November 08, 2016, 07:08:40 AM
Is this where HEAT will be in a couple of years?:
http://forum.fimk.fi/
https://lompsa.com/#/activity/fim/forgers/latest
Most of the Big Shots have cashed out and abandoned the project. There are now so few forgers, that the network is struggling with constant forking problems.

Ebrelus
Follow Ebrelus wrote Re: HEAT Technical Progress on November 08, 2016, 02:17:52 PM
You have a point about the network weakness but this comparison is simply inadequate. 

You forgot to mention that a really big part of FIMK holdings, especially that part owned by big whales is now inactive in FIMK system, frozen because of investing it in HEAT ICO. This is the main reason of actual FIMK network state.

BTW Warmach's pool at start was a marginal pool. It got traction later when it became cheapest and more convenient alternative for less active part of FIMK holders. It's now only victim of it's own success and unusual circumstances.

There are also pluses. FIMK holders who didn't participate in HEAT ICO got bonus because of it gaining bigger forging rewards now. If FIMK will kick off in future then they will gain proporcionally more.

I'm sure situation will change in future since part of ICO participants will come back to FIMK and HEAT success will also bring attention to FIMK.

Also FIMK was never subject of major hype yet. Comming on board i was ready to wait and it was well known that we are all waiting for facts and FIMK's possibilities to speak for themselfs.

If somebody participated in silent Synereo's ICO knows exactly what i mean.
Keep fingers crossed volks :)

warmach
Follow warmach wrote Re: HEAT Technical Progress on November 08, 2016, 07:02:30 PM

BTW Warmach's pool at start was a marginal pool. It got traction later when it became cheapest and more convenient alternative for less active part of FIMK holders. It's now only victim of it's own success and unusual circumstances.

Ebrelus is right.  My initial stake was only 400K and I was a tiny forger compared to the rest of the network.  At the time, there were a few pools but most required a minimum of 500K or 1000K balance to forge.  I created pool to help the smaller forgers on the network, myself being one of them. 

If you look now at the forgers, http://fim.warmach.info/pool/index.php  the majority have a very small balance.  I think these are mostly Finnish nationals who have been receiving their FIMK income.  The whales looking for the next big thing have all gone running to HEAT hoping to reap big, short term rewards.  FIMK is more in the hands of Finnish citizens than ever.  I think the success/failure of FIMK will be decided not by big short term investors, but by the average Finnish citizen.

loylyaLissee
Follow loylyaLissee wrote Re: HEAT Technical Progress on November 09, 2016, 07:38:37 AM
The whales looking for the next big thing have all gone running to HEAT hoping to reap big, short term rewards.

That was my point exactly. They are moving on and on like a swarm of locusts (no offense to Jiminy Cricket intended), leaving behind smoking ruins. Where will HEAT be, when the short term reapers have gone?

Eliphaz
Follow Eliphaz wrote Re: HEAT Technical Progress on November 09, 2016, 01:33:51 PM
Where will HEAT be, when the short term reapers have gone?
Put in short, Heat Ledger Ltd is mainly B2B corporate business operation, with the HEAT blockchain no more no less than a public sandbox to the tech solutions we provide for enterprise customers. Whereas FIMK is non-profit with no other major activity than the chain and [mostly of unmaterialized potential] community. These two ends are conceptually worlds apart, which means short term reapers have no lasting effect on HEAT.

Besides other differences, that's the main one. Contemplate it for outlooks on the future.

DarthCrypto
Follow DarthCrypto wrote Re: HEAT Technical Progress on November 17, 2016, 08:53:51 AM
Can you please let us know a little bit beforehand when the genesis block will launch, so that everybody can get ready?
I mean, we have a chosen logo now, so the launch of the genesis block can't be far away, right?   :-*

Eliphaz
Follow Eliphaz wrote Re: HEAT Technical Progress on November 17, 2016, 04:59:37 PM
I mean, we have a chosen logo now, so the launch of the genesis block can't be far away, right?   :-*
Nice theory, and should be true, but you never know :D

There'll be info about the launch of the genesis when it's known.

Get ready, for what? Mass sell? Or panic buy? :)

loylyaLissee
Follow loylyaLissee wrote Re: HEAT Technical Progress on November 17, 2016, 06:03:35 PM

Maybe forging, or whatever you call it? Maybe it would be nice to have some servers up and running, once the genesis block is launched? Or are you planning on running it in single server mode?

DarthCrypto
Follow DarthCrypto wrote Re: HEAT Technical Progress on November 17, 2016, 07:40:08 PM

Preparing my Raspberry Pi for running a full node actually.  :)And because I'll do PoS I'll very likely not sell any heat.

eureka
Follow eureka wrote Re: HEAT Technical Progress on November 21, 2016, 12:23:39 PM
We are planning to release the heat genesis block in the coming days

It's been more than a few days already. Any update on genesis? End of November is coming really quick...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up